If a citizen of the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland is living in the UK in accordance with the Immigration (European Economic Area) Regulations 2006, their family members who are not EEA or Swiss citizens also have the right to live in the UK.

If you are the non-European family member of an EEA or Swiss national, and you have come to the UK with them, you can apply for a residence card. This is a document which confirms your right of residence under European law. Your residence card may take the form of an endorsement in your passport (also called a 'vignette'), or it may be a separate document called an 'immigration status document'. A residence card is normally valid for 5 years from the date when it is issued.

The applicant must submit a valid passport for the application for residence card to be approved. Also, the EEA national must be exercising treaty rights in the UK and evidence of the same must be submitted with the application. According to EEA Regulations 2006, the Home Office is legally bound to consider and decide an application for residence card within 6 months from the date of receipt of the application. Any delay or negligence in part of the Home Office in not deciding the application within six months can be challenged by way of Judicial Review in High Court.

Contact Us

Liberty Immigration Services Limited

1st Floor

4 De Montfort St

Leicester LE1 7GA

Tel: 01164315091

Follow Us